We hope you love the products we recommend and just so you know that as an Amazon Associate, DSLRad may earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the main reasons I was so keen to get my hands on the Canon R5 was it’s video capabilities.
When I was deep diving into whether this was the right camera for me, I too had the question, ‘Can Canon R5 shoot 240fps?’
No, the Canon R5 cannot shoot at 240fps at any resolution.
The resolutions it does offer should allow you to do almost anything when it comes to filmmaking – check out it’s capabilities below.
Table of Contents
Canon R5 Video Capabilities
The Canon R5 is a powerhouse when it comes to video features, making it a top pick for filmmakers and content creators like myself.
So, can Canon R5 shoot 240fps? Sadly, no…. but here are the frame rates and resolutions you can expect:
|Video Resolution||Frames Per Second (fps)|
|8K DCI||29.97, 25.00, 24.00, 23.98|
|8K UHD||29.97, 25.00, 23.98|
|4K DCI||59.94, 50.00, 29.97, 25.00, 24.00, 23.98, 119.88|
|4K UHD||59.94, 50.00|
|1920×1080 (Full HD)||119.9, 59.94, 29.97, 24.00, 23.98 (NTSC); 100.00, 50.00, 25.00 (PAL)|
Now, let’s tackle the burning question about 240fps.
High-Speed Video Options on the Canon R5
While the Canon R5 doesn’t offer a native 240fps mode, it does provide some fantastic high-speed video options:
- 120fps in 4K: I’ve found that shooting in 4K at 120fps allows for incredibly smooth and detailed slow-motion footage. When played back at 30fps, the action slows down to one-quarter of real-time speed. It’s perfect for adding drama and quality to your videos.
- 60fps in 4K HQ (High Quality): Although not as slow as 120fps, shooting at 60fps in 4K HQ still offers plenty of room for post-production magic, resulting in cinematic slow motion.
- 119.9fps in Full HD: Contrary to some information out there, the R5 can shoot up to 119.9fps in Full HD, not 20fps. This setting allows for almost five times slow motion when played back at 24fps.
Advantages of High-Speed Video on the Canon R5
Here’s why I love using the Canon R5’s high-speed video features:
- Smooth Slow Motion: Capturing footage at high frame rates like 120fps in 4K results in silky-smooth slow-motion sequences.
- Creative Control: The high-speed options give you the freedom to emphasize details and moments that might otherwise go unnoticed.
- Professional Quality: The R5 meets the demands of pros like us, offering high-res and high frame-rate options for top-notch video content.
- Post-Production Flexibility: Higher frame rates mean more flexibility in editing, allowing you to fine-tune your slow-motion clips.
Considerations for High-Speed Video on the Canon R5
Before you dive in, here are some things to consider:
- File Size: High-speed videos are large. Make sure you have enough storage and consider using faster CFexpress Type B cards, which the R5 supports.
- Shutter Speed: Stick to the 180-degree shutter rule—set your shutter speed to at least double the frame rate for smooth motion.
- Lighting: High-speed shooting demands good lighting. Make sure you’re well-lit to avoid noise or motion blur.
- Editing Skill: You’ll need some editing chops to make the most of your high-speed footage. Software like Adobe Premiere Pro or DaVinci Resolve can help.
120FPS vs 60FPS (Do You Even Need 240fps?)
If you’ve been thinking about getting the R5 (or any camera for that matter) specifically for its 240 FPS capability, it’s worth taking a step back to evaluate your actual needs.
The video below compares the Canon R5’s 60 FPS and 120 FPS modes. The interesting thing, and what is revealed, is that for most scenarios, the higher frame rate doesn’t actually offer a dramatically better visual experience.
While 120 FPS has its moments, particularly in capturing fast action, the difference is often subtle. So before you commit to the idea that you absolutely need 240 FPS, consider that lower frame rates like 120 FPS or even 60 FPS can often deliver stunning, high-quality results without the hassle of dealing with massive file sizes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the max fps for Canon R5?
The maximum frame rate for the Canon EOS R5 varies depending on the resolution you’re shooting in. For 4K DCI, it can go up to 119.88fps. In Full HD, it can shoot up to 119.9fps. However, it’s worth noting that the camera does not offer a native 240fps shooting mode.
Which camera can shoot 4K 240fps?
As the Canon EOS R5 does not support 4K at 240fps. Cameras like the Sony RX100 VII and the Sony A1 offer this feature. Always check the latest specifications, as new models are continually being released.
What is the shooting speed of EOS R5?
The Canon EOS R5 offers a range of shooting speeds, depending on the video resolution. Here’s a quick rundown:
- 8K DCI: Up to 29.97fps
- 4K DCI: Up to 119.88fps
- Full HD: Up to 119.9fps
For still photography, the EOS R5 can shoot up to 20fps in electronic shutter mode.
Can Canon R5 shoot slow motion?
Yes, the Canon R5 can shoot slow-motion video. While it doesn’t offer a native 240fps mode, it does provide high-speed options like 120fps in 4K and 119.9fps in Full HD. These settings allow you to capture smooth and detailed slow-motion footage, perfect for adding a cinematic touch to your videos.
So, while the Canon R5 may not offer a native 240fps mode, it does provide impressive high-speed options like 120fps in 4K and 119.9fps in Full HD. These features enable you to capture stunning slow-motion footage with exceptional quality and creative control. As you explore these options, you’ll realize the storytelling power of slow motion and how it can elevate your video content.
Brad is a seasoned photographer whose journey began in 2006 with a 3.1-megapixel digital camera. Over the years, he has specialized in various photography genres—from weddings and portraiture to product and studio photography. Based on the Sunshine Coast of QLD, Brad combines his love for education and photography, sharing his expertise on DSLRAD.com, a platform committed to capturing life’s treasured moments and empowering photography enthusiasts.